how to: knitted scarf



I think foxes in scarves are adorable, don't you? Who am I kidding! All animals are adorable in scarves. This is the perfect project for a rainy day. Plus it'll fit any of my runabout toy designs so all your animal friends can be toasty warm.



In all honesty, I don't knit. I really have no clue! Lucky I have kids that do! All credit to my 12 year old for sharing how she made this quirky fox scarf. 

Apologetic note to experienced knitters: I'm sure we've botched technical terms...! Feel free to correct us. Cheers!

(Our beautiful wool is from Nundle Woollen Mill - love it!)


You will need:

● Pair of 7mm (US 10 1/2) knitting needles
● Ball of 20 ply wool yarn in colour of your choice (Colour A)
● Balls of 20 ply wool yarn for the tassels in 2 colours of your choice (Colours B & C)
● Yarn needle for weaving in ends

Stitches used: Knit stitch
Size: About 5 x 95cm (2 x 37 1/2in)
Gauge: It's a scarf for a toy - don't worry!


How to make:

1. Loosely cast on 5 stitches with Colour A.
2. Work in Garter stitch (knit every row) until scarf is about 95cm (37 1/2in) long.
3. Bind off.
4. Weave in ends.
5. Cut tassels 6 x 20cm (8in) lengths in Colour B and 4 x 20cm (8in) lengths in Colour C .


6. Fold your first Colour B tassel in half and poke loop through the end edge of the scarf.


7. Pull ends of tassel through the loop. Pull to tighten. 


8. Repeat for the remaining tassels, alternating Colours B and C.


9. Trim tassel ends evenly (or leave them...).

And you're done!

Runabout fox pattern available for instant download from my etsy store.



No comments